Reference and Instructional Services Assistant
Honors B.A., University of Utah, English Literature and Medieval History
M.L.I.S, Brigham Young University
To support the Teaching, Research, and User Engagement unit within the Teaching, Research, and User Services Program, Helen:
• Recruits, hires, trains, schedules, and supervises students who work at the Research Help desk
• Coordinates and maintains the schedule of backup librarian assistance for the desk
• Provides high level research assistance to faculty, students and staff at the Research Help desk on regular shifts
• Schedules library instructional sessions with campus faculty, especially for the Writing and Rhetoric program
• Receives and refers requests for librarian consultations from students
• Teaches library instruction sessions to visiting groups, Writing and Rhetoric classes, and other similar courses
Helen also provides backup assistance at the Circulation Desk, serving as the Evening Staff Substitute and supervises the students who work at that desk. She is trained in most circulation functions, including the circulation of most materials, looking up reserves, locating items, and giving directional assistance.
Collaborating with the OIT, Helen is the Library Supervisor of the OIT Help Desk Outpost, located near the Research Help desk in the Hesburgh Library. She trains and supervises all students who work at this desk and can provide assistance with technology questions, adding print quota to faculty and student accounts, and resetting passwords.
Other duties enjoyed by Helen include:
• LINk Coordinator and LINk Librarian to Howard Hall
• Manager of the Hesburgh Library Bulletin Boards
• Member of the Renovation Technology Commons Committee
• Member of the One Book, One Michiana Committee
• Member of the Christmas Party Planning Committee
Helen has is active with the Indiana Library Federation, and currently serves as the Chair of the Publications Committee and is a Member-at-Large on the Executive Board of the Distance Learning Division.