As a Sr Systems Administrator, Bill provides core systems infrastructure management and some server based programming support for the Hesburgh Libraries. Bill administers a wide variety of commercially licensed and open source technologies and software and is responsible for the configuration, management, function, availability, and security for those systems.
Systems Administration and Support
- Advanced Windows systems administration including virtualization, user administration, backup and recovery, security, package maintenance, networking, file systems, and high availability server configurations.
- Compilation, installation, and configuration of commercial and open source software.
- Maintain files systems, back ups, firewalls, monitoring systems, and locally developed application environments.
- Administration of high volume relational database systems such as MySQL and Oracle.
Collaborate with software engineers to provide a customized, high availability systems infrastructure that is tailored to locally developed application needs.
- Configure and manager Operating System images for Windows and Mac OS
Collaborate with the OIT
Work with the OIT to identify and integrate core technology services services provided by the OIT, such as, networking, identity management, authentication systems, active directory, Operating System computing images.
Collaborate on scheduled system outages and coordinate system down time to ensure graceful system transitions.
Report core service outages and manage communication with key library stakeholders on technology infrastructure problems.
Research, Evaluation, and Documentation
- Research, evaluate, and implement new technology infrastructure
components for the Libraries.
- Document infrastructure and systems changes.