As a Sr Systems Administrator, Tom provides core systems infrastructure management and some server based programming support for the Hesburgh Libraries. Tom administers a wide variety of commercially licensed and open source technologies and software and is responsible for the configuration, management, function, availability, and security for those systems.
Systems Administration and Support
- Advanced Linux systems administration including virtualization, user administration, backup and recovery, security, package maintenance, networking, file systems, and high availability server configurations.
- Compilation, installation, and configuration of commercial and open source software.
- Maintain files systems, back ups, firewalls, monitoring systems, and locally developed application environments.
- Administration of high volume relational database systems such as MySQL and Oracle.
Collaborate with software engineers to provide a customized, high availability systems infrastructure that is tailored to locally developed application needs.
Collaborate with the OIT
- Work with the OIT to identify and integrate core technology services services provided by the OIT, such as, networking, identity management, authentication systems, active directory, Operating System computing images.
- Collaborate on scheduled system outages and coordinate system down time to ensure graceful system transitions.
- Report core service outages and manage communication with key library stakeholders on technology infrastructure problems.
Research, Evaluation, and Documentation
- Research, evaluate, and implement new technology infrastructure
components for the Libraries.
- Document infrastructure and systems changes.