As the Manager for the Enterpise Systems Unit for the Hesburgh Libraries, Ian creates goals and priorities for a highly productive enterprise systems unit, including coordinating work assignments, development and implementation of unit policies and procedures, performance assessment, and coaching and mentoring. Ian also directs interdepartmental teams in the design, development, and implementation of highly available and robust enterprise and data management systems.
- Supervise, develop and mentor all System Administrators, QA Developers, and Application Administrators.
- Collaboratively establish goals with direct reports, coach as needed, and evaluate performance.
- Provide advice and direction on professional development and skill advancement in alignment with library strategies and goals.
Leadership and Collaboration
- Develop and maintain a program of proactive system administration, including but not limited to a system of updates, patches and fixes, system enhancements, log monitoring, and system hardening.
- Collaborate with other technical units in the Libraries (application developers and managers) and the University (central IT).
- Lead the provisioning and maintenance of a highly available and robust technical infrastructure (servers, networking, and storage) for the Libraries.
- In collaboration with the University Office of Information Technology (OIT), lead the Libraries' implementation of infrastructure in the cloud to serve the needs of disparate stakeholders.
- Serve as liaison between Hesburgh Libraries' Information Technology Program and the Information Security and Compliance team from the University OIT.
- Serve as required on University-wide Steering Committees, Working Groups, and Project Teams.
Systems Administration and Support
- Advanced Linux systems administration including virtualization, user administration, backup and recovery, security, package maintenance, networking, file systems, and high availability server configurations.
- Compilation, installation, and configuration of commercial and open source software.
- Maintain files systems, back ups, firewalls, monitoring systems, and locally developed application environments.
- Administration of high volume relational database systems such as MySQL and Oracle.
- Creation and maintenance of security measures in local and cloud environments.
- Collaborate with software engineers to provide a customized, high availability systems infrastructure that is tailored to locally developed application needs.
- Lead the Unit in the creation of Infrastructure-as-Code
Quality Assurance, Testing, and Delivery
- Provide strategic vision for the QA and IT Testing functions of the Libraries
- Create, maintain, and update Software delivery methods, including Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery as appropriate
- Facilitate with stakeholders on acceptable risk in software deployments
Ian holds a Bachelor's of Arts in Speech Communication and a Master's of Business Administration, both from Indiana University at South Bend.