As the Manager for the Enterpise Systems Unit for the Hesburgh Libraries, Ian creates goals and priorities for a highly productive enterprise systems unit, including coordinating work assignments, development and implementation of unit policies and procedures, performance assessment, and coaching and mentoring. Ian also directs interdepartmental teams in the design, development, and implementation of highly available and robust enterprise and data management systems.
- Supervise, develop and mentor all System Administrators and Application Administrators.
- Collaboratively establish goals with direct reports, coach as needed, and evaluate performance.
- Provide advice and direction on professional development and skill advancement in alignment with library strategies and goals.
Leadership and Collaboration
- Develop and maintain a program of proactive system administration, including but not limited to a system of updates, patches and fixes, system enhancements, log monitoring, and system hardening.
- Collaborate with other technical units in the Libraries (application developers and managers) and the University (central IT).
- Lead the provisioning and maintenance of a highly available and robust technical infrastructure (servers, networking, and storage) for the Libraries.
- In collaboration with the University Office of Information Technology (OIT), lead the Libraries' implementation of infrastructure in the cloud to serve the needs of disparate stakeholders.
Systems Administration and Support
- Advanced Linux systems administration including virtualization, user administration, backup and recovery, security, package maintenance, networking, file systems, and high availability server configurations.
- Compilation, installation, and configuration of commercial and open source software.
- Maintain files systems, back ups, firewalls, monitoring systems, and locally developed application environments.
- Administration of high volume relational database systems such as MySQL and Oracle.
Collaborate with software engineers to provide a customized, high availability systems infrastructure that is tailored to locally developed application needs.
Ian holds a Bachelor's of Arts in Speech Communication and a Master's of Business Administration, both from the University of Indiana South Bend.